The Sherlock Holmes film series is pretty much a hit and miss. Despite frequent claimes that the James Bond film series is the longest filme series in history, actually, that distinction belongs to both Godzilla death porn series and the Sherlock Holmes police procedural series. There are too many actors who played the role of Sherlock Holmes to possibly list them all here. And there are too many film adaptations of Sherlock Holmes to list them all here either. And some Sherlock Holmes films tend to be fantastic. And other Sherlock Holmes films tend to be idiotic. Among the best actors playing the role of Sherlock Holmes are...
1. John Barrymore (He's related to Drew Barrymore somehow) played the role only once in 1922.
1. Clive Brooks did three films in 1929, 1930 and 1932.
2. Raymond Massey played the role only once in the 1930's decade.
3. Arthur Wotner played the role five times in the 1930's decade.
4. Professional super-villain charactor actor Basil Rathbone played the role fourteen times. He's considered the best ever version of the character.
5. Alan Wheatley was the first television show version of Sherlock Holmes.
6. Roland Howard is the second television show version of Sherlock Holmes.
7. Jeremy Brett was another television show version of Sherlock Holmes and his version of the Sherlock Holmes television series took the character seriously. Essentially doing page by page and paragraph by paragraph adaptations of all the books and stories that Sir Arthur Connon Doyle wrote.
8. Robert Dowling Junior played Sherlock Holmes in two recently made films.
9. Benedict Cumberbatch (He played the second incarnation of Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek: Into Darkness) did a BBC television show version of Sherlock Holmes.
10. Jonny Lee Miller is the latest television show version of Sherlock Holmes in the CBS version of the series entitled Elementry. Asian actress Lucy Lui is the second woman (And the first Asian) to play the role of Doctor Watson. And the season premier for the second season of Elementry is filmed on location in London, England. It even uses Sherlock Holmes most famous base of operations 221b Baker Street for the first and only time in the season premier. Here we have Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Lui as Doctor Watson in the famous Trafalgar Square district of London, England for one of the season premier outdoor scenes (London, England plays the role of London, England. Wow, what a concept. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the same street in Cleveland, Ohio playing the role of New York City, New York and Washington D.C., but it's also refreshing to actually travel to London, England to film scenes located in London, England also).